Thursday, February 18, 2016

February 10, 2016

Life is good. The MTC is pretty awesome. I thought I'd be a lot more stressed out, crazy, and homesick than I've been, but the Lord's keeping me too busy for all that. Please tell everyone that I'm sorry for not emailing and replying to all your emails. I type pretty fast, but there's so much going on that it's hard to type it all out. Emailing was probably the most stressful thing I've done since getting here. I've been learning so much and growing so quickly in the Gospel that I just want to tell you everything!

The main thing I've done here though is strengthened my relationship with our Savior. "MTC" stands for several different things: Missionary Training Center, Make The Change, and My Time with Christ. The change I've noticed in myself as I devote all my might, mind, heart, and strength to the Lord has been insane. It was like as soon as I stepped inside and put on that name tag it wasn't about me anymore. It was all about Him. I never realized our entire purpose as missionaries is to bring others unto Christ. I mean obviously, but I always thought the stress would be on the specific lessons. But it all comes back to Christ, every time. It doesn't matter what you're teaching (specifically, whether it's the Restoration, Plan of Salvation, Ordinances, etc); if it doesn't relate to Christ or give the investigator a desire to change and become like the Savior, you're teaching it wrong. You're just not fulfilling your role as a missionary.

My companion is Sister Gold. We're both going to Provo and she's pretty great. There are two other sisters in our dorm, Sister Beach and Sister McMaster, who are both going to Tuscon, Arizona. Sister McMaster's grandmother wrote the hymn "Teach Me to Walk in the Light", so there's a fun fact for you.

Starting this week each companionship was assigned two investigators to begin teaching, aside from the teachers we "roleplay" with in our classes. It's been easier than I thought it would be (*knocks on wood*). Focusing on the Savior really helps me. If I trust in Him, I know He'll give me the words to say (D&C 100:5-8) and the Spirit will fulfill it's role in touching the hearts of our investigators. Unfortunately, conversion is a two-way street. We may be feelin' it, but if our investigator isn't, there's not much we can do. We can invite them to read and pray until we're blue in the face, but if they don't have that desire to act in faith and seek to know by studying the Book of Mormon, we won't get anywhere with them. Conversion takes place after we've left the investigator, when they sincerely study the Book of Mormon and ask of their own free will if it is true. 

Anyway, that's really about it! We spend all day in the classroom, studying and discussing and practicing. My teachers are pretty awesome. The food has been...interesting. Not half as legendary as I was led to believe. It's not horrible, but it's not great. It's just meh. 

I'm not totally positive when my next P-Day will be, since I'm leaving the MTC on a Tuesday afternoon, but keep writing me! I get Dear Elder letters really quickly!

Keep the Faith,
Emi

No comments:

Post a Comment